This article details common connection troubles for Agents, Landlords, Property Managers and Owners when linking a receiving bank account with rent payment through RentSpree.
RentSpree partners with industry leader Plaid to offer a fast and safe way for users to connect their bank account for rent payment.
Below are some common issues you may encounter when trying to link your bank account, and how to resolve.
I have Capital One and am having trouble connecting! What should I do?
Capital One unfortunately has an ongoing connection error with Plaid. They are continuing to work on a resolution, but currently, we do not have a timeline as to when connection will be restored. We recommend connecting with a different bank account to get the full use of the rent payment feature.
I can't find my bank, what do I do?
1. Make sure you check the spelling of the bank you are searching and try all possible options.
- For example: 1st and First, or Federal Credit Union and FCU.
2. Did your banking institution recently change names, or get acquired? Make sure to enter the current name of your banking institution, not just the one you signed up with.
- For example: Boeing Employee Credit Union > BECU, or SunTrust and BB&T have been acquired by Truist, so you would enter Truist.
If you have tried the above steps and still do not see your bank:
You can connect manually via your account and routing number. Here are the steps to do so.
🔔 Remember! Only enter your account and routing if your bank does not show up. If your bank is supported, you must connect via your online banking credentials.
I don't use online banking, can I still make my rent payments with RentSpree?
You will need to have online banking set up in order to use RentSpree's rent payment feature.
What if I use a spending account, online bank, or a pre-paid account?
How do I know if I have a checking account or a spending account?
Spending accounts are becoming increasingly popular as neo-banks begin to arise. These are companies that offer banking services, but are not themselves a bank. In order to offer these services, these companies house the funds at a larger parent bank, however all your "banking" is done under their name, making these accounts "spending" accounts. Some examples are:
- Credit Karma Spend/ Credit Karma Money
- Robinhood Cash
- Albert Cash
Can I use my spending account or pre-paid account with RentSpree rent payment?
If you have a spending account (like any of the aforementioned), or you have a prepaid account (Walmart MoneyCard, GreenDot, etc.), unfortunately these accounts will not be able to connect with rent payment. RentSpree's rent payment feature currently only supports connecting checking accounts. However, we hope to offer more ways to collect and pay rent soon! Stay tuned!
It's telling me my username/password is incorrect.
- Double check that you are typing everything in as if this was your online bank account. Make sure to only capitalize what you would on your bank's website, and remove any excess spaces that sneak their way in at the end.
- Verify you are not using autofill. Auto-fill may be great for storing passwords, but occasionally it can cause an issue in Plaid. Make sure you type your information in manually, rather than letting auto-fill add it in.
- Make sure you didn't recently change your password, username, or just open the account. It can take up to a week for new information to be sent from the bank to Plaid.
If you are still receiving the incorrect credentials error after verifying all of the above steps, then your bank may have a temporary connection issue with Plaid. We recommend trying again in a couple days, or connecting another account.
I'm being asked to verify, but when I click it says "already verified?"
This happens when you enter the account and routing numbers, but Plaid already has this bank supported in their system.
To resolve this:
- Go to your RentSpree dashboard and click Continue to finish setting up your account.
- On the Select Checking Account screen, you should see your routing number and "Not Verified." Underneath, click + Add new account.
- Search for your bank's name in the search bar. Please verify you are trying all spellings, abbreviations, and capitalizations.
- If you are searching and still not finding your bank's name, please contact RentSpree support.
I'm experiencing another issue that is not listed on this page.
If you are experiencing any other issues linking your bank account via Plaid that are not listed on this page, please visit Plaid's bank connection resource here.